It's All Gravy, Baby!

Perhaps the best news in months was given me, courtesy of this website, sent me by a friend: I'm living on borrowed time!

It's often questioned how differently we'd conduct our lives if we knew when we were going to die. I know, in my case, I'd do a much better job of spending money, not so much on acquisitions, but in travel. If I knew I had a year to live, say, I'd be on a boat or plane pronto, and would do my best to see as much of the world as I could before I died.

The one thing, and I try to do this, anyway, is I want to make sure every one knows how important they are to me. I may or may not have spent all my kisses, but I do hope those who've touched me know it. It would be sad to die while holding a grudge or being angry at someone, especially if the slight I think they've done to me is one I've done, too. I try to live by the simple car analogy: instead of becoming angered when I'm cut off, I recall when I've done it to others. We all live with the same rules.

So, if you're reading this...thanks. I can only hope the time you've spent has been worth it.

The good news about my missed appointment with the reaper isn't that I've outlived my usefulness (as the cynics may claim), but that I have a great deal more freedom now (the real kind, not Bush's). I wish I had more faith in the site, though.

It's tempting, now, to liquidate everything and take off. Not prudent, but it seems I could go at any time, and I've already begun looking for reapers out of the corners of my eyes.

4 comments:

Voyaging said...

The MoonShiner (Traditional)

Chorus:
I'm a rambler I'm a gambler I'm a long way from home
And if you don't like me well leave me alone
I'll eat when I'm hungry I'll drink when I'm dry
And if the moonshine don't kill me I'll drink till I die

I've been a moonshiner for many a year
I've spent all my money on whiskey and beer
I'll go to some hollow and set up me still
I'll make you a gallon for a ten shilling bill

I'll go to some hollow in the country
Ten gallons of wash I can go on a spree
No woman to follow and the world is all mine
I love none so well as I love the moonshine

Moonshine dear moonshine oh how I love thee
You killed me poor father but dare you try me
Bless all the moonshiners and bless all the moonshine
It's breath smells as sweet as the dew on the vine

I'll have moonshine for Liza and moonshine for May
Moonshine for Lu she'll sing all the day
Moonshine for my breakfast, Moonshine for my tea
Moonshine me hearties, it's moonshine for me

The Angler said...

Also, special greetings to Voyaging. Glad you are still out and about. See you around.

The Angler said...

When I did the calculation, the death clock told me that I will tortured until dead as part of a ritual human sacrifice by a gang of neo-cons on November 23, 2013 during a reenactment of the assisnation of John F. Kennedy by overstuffing me with salad made from greens collected from plants growing in the Grassy Knoll.

russ said...

"Moonshine for breakfast" ... that should knock the sharp edges off those morning meetings. Glad you dropped off that ditty, and it looks like I'll have to swing through the South before my trip to stock up on needed supplies.

That sucks to share a death date with a famous day in history, but it beats a birthday, I guess. Maybe you can buy this and keep those neo-cons at bay.