My Animal Troubles

Nobody knows, not even the Internet, but there may be ten million different species of insects on this planet, many of which have bitten me.

The other night, in an effort to stretch my brain and intellect, I watched Nova. The show focused on some part of the world I also don't know and some animals who live there. Among the animals featured, and becoming extinct, was this guy, a fossa or foosa.

Now here's the thing. They're pretty cool / weird looking things, fairly doglike and catlike both, long, and numbering only around two thousand or so. This bums me out, but then I get upset with myself. At the start of the show I didn't even know they existed and here I am, twenty minutes later, worrying about their survival. If they were already extinct I wouldn't feel too bad, but what's disturbing is that I wouldn't feel bad if I'd never heard of them, either.

If I hadn't watched that show and in twenty years they were all gone it would have zero impact on me. Now, just because I know, it seems more relevant. Funny how learning causes pain.


Not so much about writing, but I have a pet peeve. I don't know what's happened to the superlative in American English.

I have yet to come to terms with misusing hopefully, and I still consider it wrong to use it in place of "I hope" or "we hope." But what's bugging me now is everyone ignoring the comparative and just jumping to the superlative.

As far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as "one of the best movies." There's only one "best" movie -- that's why it's the best. Is it that much harder to please me and say "one of the better movies?" I'm convinced that best means one, is unique. I can understand it slipping into speech, but can't stand it when I read some edited publication that makes the error of using any superlative when talking about a group.

Grrrr.

4 comments:

Voyaging said...

FYI - Tapped into your feed and received these 3--Into the 21st, Elderly Infirmies, and Habemus Papum --but never received the current post, My Animal Troubles...(tried different rss readers, same result).

Sarah Cherise said...

You're one of the BETTER thinkers of your day... And thank god you found a picture of the damn foosa cuz I was beginning to get desperate. Damn madagascar. Foosa You!

Foosa Yeo said...

My name is Foosa.No,really.I was born with that name.Are you actually calling me damn?And hell,what the fuck,Madagascar is the most awesome show existed.

russ said...

Foosa! What an awesome name!

No, you can't be damned, not with that name. I'm hoping now that all us humans know about the animal foosa that we'll make sure it survives right along with you. I sure hope so. We can't afford to lose too many more animals!

Madagascar looks heavenly, and the show about it was great!