Evolution

I'm amazed. The Internet police have failed to take away my blogging license in spite of my failure to post anything for awhile. I would have expected some sort of inactivity freeze.

But the point is, I've been thinking. The other day it was revealed that gorillas in the wild fashion tools (well, at least a walking stick used to check water depth). I remember a few years ago hearing about monkeys or chimps using a stick to capture ants, too, so it looks like the lower rungs of the evolutionary ladder are catching up with us.

Then again, I often wonder if homo sapiens aren't getting dumber and less apt. My parent's generation didn't need directions on ground beef, reminders for upcoming doctor visits, insulting signs alerting them that they should duck or notice such obvious things as holes, water, or rises in the ground, but that was a generation that could smoke and drink at the beach. And, bring their dogs.

We're so much smarter now we can hardly do anything on our own.

I live in what's considered a developed nation and can go weeks and never be farther from another person or sign of civilazation than I can walk in less than five minutes. Still, a good percent of the population sees fit to carry water around with them, as if they're constant danger of dehydrating. It makes sense in New Orleans, I guess, but potable, plentiful water is a fairly basic commodity. I've never tried, but I bet I could crawl up anyone's doorstep and beg for a glass of water if I were in danger of transforming into bleached bones.

It's been said that this constant need for water may be due to the high incidence of anti-depressant medications, but I don't know if there's ever been a real study done. I sometimes carry water on my bike, but that's as much for show as any real, unsatisfiable need.

It doesn't have anything to do with intelligence, but people need to carry a bunch more stuff around with them, too. It's hard to see anyone coming or going from most places who aren't weighed down with back packs, messenger bags, belts and pockets stuffed with devices, or satchels. The other day on the bus I saw the most heartbreaking thing: a man clutching a large, plastic ziplock bag with "Patient Belongings" written on it in large white letters. In it he had a newspaper, the type of item we once carried in our hands. Is this all he has to carry things?

I can take some comfort in knowing that those growing up now might suffer hearing loss younger than I am because of their decision to plug into their own world rather than the supplied one, but I'm sorry I won't be around to see what we evolve into.

My guess would be something with pockets. If nothing else, those would be handy for keeping track of the all the new warning labels that are certain to come.

0 comments: