Pressure Cooker

Why, oh why, did I end yesterday's entry promising exciting stuff today? Now I not only have to invent some remarkable event to write about, I have to do so with poignancy, insight, and humor. This may not be easy.

I have, naturally, a list of things to blog about, but none seem adequate to satisfy the build-up. I had an unremarkable day, so writing about that won't do, and my difficulties with women, life, and self have begun to bore even me. In fact, I write about other things to avoid thinking about those problems.

I could write about Pedro, my rally monkey, but I only got him to avoid looking like I didn't care about the Angels a few years ago when a colleague went to a baseball game. Everyone in the department got something, and it was pretty noisy there for awhile with all those thunder sticks. The rally monkey, with paws conveniently featuring Velcro, hung on the roll bar of my car on the ride back home and inspired not a few surprising looks.

In a convertible, everybody knows your business. Also, they have no qualms about asking you for directions since you're right out there. I'd say it's like you have nowhere to hide except there's no "like" about it. They can all see what you're drinking, hear what you're listening to, and notice how well or poorly you're dressed.

Today was a very hot day, not a good one for convertibles. People think they'd be cool, but it's like sitting in a frying pan. I did find out today that a guy I've been exchanging e-mails with for about five years also has a convertible. We're similar in our use of them, too, and agree that when you have a ragtop it's senseless to put the top up.

Few things bother me as much as seeing a convertible all buttoned up when it's a gorgeous, seventy-five degree day. I wonder just how much more beautiful it has to be for the clown to lower his top and justify the added expense of a convertible top.

This entry is not going well. Not exciting at all.

The other major achievment of my day was not washing my dog. I had no time, what with wondering how many people were reading my blog and how delighted they all must be. I read some other blogs, which were better than mine, but forgot to take any notes on how to do better, so this is what you get for today.

Maybe I'll leave off with a quote I remember. It must be a good one because I don't remember very many quotes. I have a book full of them that I use for inspiration, but hardly any I can summon up or that I've bother to memorise. This one, though, I have:

"Art should never try to be popular; the public should make itself artistic" -- Oscar Wilde.
Or, something like that.

1 comments:

russ said...

Good god. This must be spam, but it's so long, disjointed, and icky that I think I'll leave it up.

For awhile, anyway.