Lies

Today I may have lied to dental student Shervin but odds are that he'll never notice. I strongly believe he isn't among those who look for foosas and find my blog.

What happened is this: during a lull in the endless waiting for one of the required doctor consultations I mentioned the good thing about going to the dentist is the opportunity it gives me to blog about it. The inference being that I would, but now that I'm home, I won't.

For some reason I was thinking today about Rosemary Woods and the famous missing eighteen minutes on one of the Nixon tapes. Maybe it's because of all the politics that have been going on lately, but I'm disappointed.

The thing is, I'm looking for things against the current administration, and few things make me happier than reading about DeLay, Rove, and Mike Brown. The thing is, we don't have anything scandalous in this country.

Even when I think back to Watergate, I mean, what was it? Breaking in to get inside info on the other party's plans. I'm sorry, but that really isn't so horrendous or such a big deal now that I think about it. Neither is DeLay's siphoning money around, or anything else I can remember being "apalling." Politicians are douche bags, and that about covers the lot of them.

Hell, Clinton swore under oath, which might be a big thing, but he was talking about sex. If anyone does, the President of the United States deserves an occasional blow job, even if it comes from a dumpy intern.

I remember reading an Andy Rooney piece years ago, before the Soviet Union collapsed. He was writing about some spy incident and mentioned that probably the most important information either side got from their years of spying and millions of dollars was a list of the opposing spies. It's a fairly closed system.

And I'm starting to see that it's the same way with American political scandals. I get all jazzed, but I have to admit it's over small potatoes that matter more politically than realistically. I think in the future I'll count to ten before getting all riled up, and I hope Shervin agrees.

0 comments: