It's Someone's Birthday!

I suppose I could do some arithmetic, or have this computer do it for me, and determine how many people have their birthday today. Whatever the result, I know of one: Shervin.

He's the dental student assigned to my case and today, just as he was leading me to my chair, his phone rang. It was his girlfriend's mother, wishing him a happy birthday. I can safely say that none of my girlfriends' mothers have ever wished me a happy birthday, although a few of them happened to meet me.

Today's dental appointment was exactly like last time's, differing only in locale. Now I'm up to the fourth floor. The consulting doctor overseeing Shervin's work today resembled a guy I know, Will, but was distinctly hard on poor Shervin. What's fascinating to me is all these consulting doctors the student must arrange and clear his treatment plan with. I'm not sure if it's evidence of extreme specialization or unions, but my case must be reviewed by no fewer than four consulting doctors before any treatment can begin. There's one for gums, one for Advanced Treatment Cases, one for the bridgework, and one I can only imagine knows about teeth and gums.

The next visit, by the way, is when Shervin will be presenting his treatment plan to a board of dentists. I get to attend and watch them look at a slide show or something about my teeth. I'm hoping for a plaster cast of my mouth to be passed around, but maybe they'll all take a look. In that case I should give them their money's worth and enjoy a lunch of Oreo cookies and parsley.

I was going to mention my plan for dental health, today, but got sidetracked. Suffice it to say that if we'd been created by any Intelligent Designer I think we'd get new teeth every ten years or so. Think how cute someone in her thirties would look with the gaps we see in six year olds!

0 comments: