Less than perfect

You'd think someone who spent as much time, effort, and money on computers as I do would be better with them.

For several months I've been thinking of moving everything to a better computer and off the W98 machine that has some weird problem with not playing sounds. An eventual step was to get a new, cheap box. It was working fine until I screwed up the partitioning tables and lost everything. I've spent the last week restoring and installing stuff, trying to get all the components to work. I had a decent arrangement Thursday or Friday, but the Linux part of things wasn't seeing my printer, which is necessary.

Got (actually bought!) a new Linux distro, SuSE, installed it, but the BSD boot loader wouldn't see it so I had to reinstall it a few times. Now I'm loading everything with GRUB and, wonder of wonders, all three operating systems work!

SuSE had no trouble at all finding the printer and it works. As an added benefit, it even kludged my non-supported sound card, and sounds play when X-Windows starts and stops. But, for some reason, I can't hear CDs playing.

I'm in the laborious process of moving all my e-mail stuff over to the new box. Eudora has no export feature, which blows.

0 comments: