Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Last night I had a bit of a start. I was watching TV and nursing my mouth (I'd had a tooth extracted earlier in the day) when my sister came home and asked me if "I'd picked up the ham."

My buying the ham was news to me, and that's what I told her.

She said I'd said I'd do it three times, but I only remember talking about having a ham instead of turkey.

So now I have to buy a ham this morning. I fully expect there to be none available at any price. The markets don't have much, anyway, because of the strike and HoneyBaked probably has some "you had to order it" nonsense.

Not only that, but Christmas dinner is tonight! Her daughter and grandson are coming over tonight, so it looks as if Christmas will be ruined and it will all be my fault. I'm used to Christmas Dinner happening on Christmas Day. Christmas Eve, my niece's birthday, is solely devoted to opening gifts.


Following up...

In spite of all my worrying about "pre placed orders only" and Christmas inflexibility I was able to waltz into the local HoneyBaked Ham store, throw them a credit card, and walk out with a huge chunk of dead pig leg. It was much tastier than the Farmer John varieties, or the supermarket hams, but still not as good as I remember ham tasting.

Then I went in search of presents. A slight mist, sprinkling rain, annoyed and irritated most of the holiday shoppers so there was lots of honking and people driving like assholes. I went to several stores looking for my grand-nephew's gift (he's like 13) but never found what I was looking for and settled on getting him a fine gift from Office Depot. He now owns one of those P-Touch labelers, a truly underwhelming present. Oddly enough, he got (and wanted) a lava lamp and a cotton candy machine. I think the cotton candy thing would be a kick, too, much more fun than a labeler.

I used to be great (or so I thought) about picking out gifts. Now, I don't think I do such a good job. I don't know many of the people I have to buy for very well, seeing them mostly at holidays, and don't know anyone's sizes any more. I take that as a reflection on how little interest I have in anyone except myself.

Still, it was a small, but decent Christmas Eve. We ate, we opened gifts, we laughed. Tomorrow (in our family) is when we usually have the big meal and open the Santa Claus stuff. I haven't been good enough to expect anything from Santa, and we had the meal tonight.

The whole street is lit with Christmas lights, and it's very pretty.

2 comments:

lauren said...

i'm glad you were able to find your little bit of holiday carnage.

for the last few years i've sent questionaires to my friends and family to help guide my gift selection (you know those dumb internet quizzes that ask your fave ice cream and whether you prefer the rolling stones or the beatles). helps a lot and it's pretty covert, and yes, i even ask sizes.

merry christmas. if it were up to me, santa would lavish you with gifts. hope tomorrow (today) is full of holiday joy and cheer. and cotton candy.

Russell said...

Hi all.Where are all the Christmas skins?
The ones I want are only available on sites that bundle them with spyware. Can soomebody tell me where they've gone, ore where to get some without spyware?