Literary Evening

Tonight I'm going to a publication party, but not what you're thinking.

Each year (I'm guessing) the UCLA Extension (where I've taken most of my writing classes) hosts a Publication Party where the instructors who've been published in the past year recite parts of their work. Then, they stand around outside and sell copies of their work.

The event features writers of all types, and the poetry is usually quite good.

This will give me a chance to add to my "to read" list. I do it not only to kiss up, but to see what type of work is currently being published. Then, later, in the confines of my home, I can attempt to discern just how far from mainstream I am.

Not all, probably not even most, of the authors are mainstream. They're mostly literary types, which is the type of book I think I write, but I've studied under some, wish to under others, and hope to remind myself of how "flesh and blood" authors are.

I'm rambling. I hope to find some little known works and to make my small contribution to encouraging and supporting the arts.

Also, the event's on the UCLA campus, at the Fowler Museum. I get to see that free, too!

0 comments: