Recurring Motifs

A friend of mine is expecting a baby in a few months, but the baby isn't expecting dancing bears on his walls and ceiling fan.

I don't know when it happened, but one wall in my boyhood bedroom was painted with Disney characters by my aunt (in strict conflict with copywrite laws). She was a commercial artist, and should have known better, but maybe that was all later on. She may have just been a freelance artist or something when she painted my walls. I was told that her most famous work was the alligator featured on Glad bags, but that's not the point.

Sometime between when my parents bought the house and I was about five and noticed it, a mural was painted on my bedroom wall. Donald Duck and his nephews, Goofy, Thumper the rabbit and, of course, Mickey Mouse danced and smiled. At the home of my friend, a large Deadhead Dancing Bear (in both yellow and green) graces the nursery wall.

I like this idea of painting on walls.

2 comments:

The Angler said...

My son's room has lady bugs, dragonflies, beetles, grasshoppers... no spiders though. I know, we're speciesists.

russ said...

There are probably spiders if you look closely enough.