Book Report

I've just completed reading a "powerful" book that depressed the piss out of me. Another one of those chick-lit type things, this one featuring a main character obsessed with her sister's death. I got the whole "dead sister" thing right away, but was reminded of it on every one of the 270 pages.

Worse was the male character. He's a bastard, a sadistic tough guy, bald, muscled, and tattooed. Treats women like shit, humilitates them, and, of course, wins her affection. Just as in life, women are drawn to this type while proclaiming they want the opposite. I hate men like that because they win. I wouldn't, and probably couldn't, be like him, but I'm jealous of his success. I'm terrifically jealous of every man who can get what I want.

She comes from a dysfunctional family. She enjoys the beatings, the restraints, the sodomy in spite of herself, feeling "freed" to accept whatever he wants. He's so powerful, so assured, she finds him hypnotic. Nothing he can do breaks her attraction.

One-fourth of the way through the book I'd lost all concern for the characters, halfway through I wished them all dead.

Then she has a breakdown, recovers, and breaks it off with him.

The End.

0 comments: