Cinco de Mayo

If I were even remotely capable of being considerate of other people, or successful by anyone's definition, today would be my 20th wedding anniversary.

I'm told Cinco de Mayo isn't anything at all in Mexico, that it's mostly an American holiday. If that's true, my guess is it was manufactured, like St Valentine's Day or Kwanzaa, because we needed something in May and we'd already had a whole day to celebrate the Irish. It certainly isn't celebrating anything worthy of much pride. Beating the French earns few points, and even fewer since they ignored the rules and attacked with half the force necessary to overcome a defense.

The fires continue in So Cal. These are all close to my niece and her family (her son, her exes, and their families), but the area they live in is developed and I doubt they're in any real danger. Still, I'd expect they'd have to do a lot of cleaning before the next barbecue, what with all the ash and all.

Speaking of development, in addition to our $30,000 plumbing, the house next door and across the street are both being remodeled. In front of my home our neighbors have parked their SUV before heading off for places unknown. Now it's in the way not only of our plumbers, but also for the cement truck scheduled to arrive for next door. Lots of people running around, all in construction boots and looking more manly than I do, everywhere except across the street. If someone shows up there to work, we can ask them to get hold of the owners and move the truck. In the meantime, I have strange trucks parked on the lawn, enabling the larger delivery trucks to block off the street.

I'd like something good to happen today.

3 comments:

lauren said...

saturday the first would have been my 13th.

it would be easy for me to blame it all on him, but then, i did choose him so i am not without culpability in the situation.

seems we both should've listened to the old saying "married in may rue the day."

russ said...

That's the first time I've heard that old saying.

Man, I could have used that...

:cry:

lauren said...

it probably wouldn't have changed anything... i did know it and did it anyway.