That Writing Thing

I'm not sure how concerned I should be about it, but I'm not overly troubled by my writing. I am, however, still uncertain if I can tell a story.

There are a lot of parts in writing, but the only two I'm looking at now are form and content. Form is the sentences, the word choices, things like that. That's the part I think I do okay at. It's not perfect and isn't as good as most of what I hear or read, but I think my writing is better than some things out there, at least in parts. It's got to get better, and I'm hoping that comes with practice.

The one thing I'm completely in the dark about is the other part of writing, the story part. I may get the words on the page decently, but am I saying anything anyone wants to read? Do my stories "suck you in" and make the reader want to turn the page? I think that's the part of writing that can't be taught, and no matter how well or poorly I put words on the page, unless I'm writing something that interests the reader, I'm toast.

So, today I'm grappling with that. Since that's a frustrating thing, I'm also thinking about breasts, which also baffle and frustrate me.

I'm really sorry.

3 comments:

lauren said...

that's exactly how i feel. about my writing i mean. not the breasts. after almost 38 years i've pretty much got those figured out.

russ said...

There's a lot about breasts I could say, but by doing so I'd drive out fully half of my readership.

I wish I knew what was wrong with my writing. That's the one thing I really want to hear.

lauren said...

guess i better have a look, then eh? at the writing. not the breasts. i see those every day.

:)