Another Lost Art?

The other night I was driving home and glanced in the car next to mine where there was a man smoking a pipe. I don't think I've seen more than one or two guys in the last ten years doing that. Whatever happened to pipe smoking?

Cigars are, or lately were, popular, but pipe-smoking seems to have fallen completely out of favor. That's odd since I remember pipes smelling better than cigars and the sight of some guy, pipe in his mouth and usually wearing a hat and fiddling with something, is part of my experience.

Vittorio, my ex's late brother, suggested that we smoke pipes, back when I was married and we were building model railroads for his son (and ourselves). It was Vittorio's goal to become one of those guys who could keep a pipe lit for hours, and we gave it a shot for a few months.

I think I'd like to see people smoking pipes again.

2 comments:

lauren said...

i always loved the smell of pipe tobacco. especially the vanilla. unfortunately, i've never known a pipe smoker. seems like everyone should've had a pipe smoking grandpa or something...

firefly said...

got beaten again to the punch. i love the smell of good pipe tobacco. just can't smoke it myself. *shrug* go figure.