Postponing

I'm eager to begin working on my novel, but also afraid that I'll end up empty of ideas.

This happens to me a lot, with many things. The perfect ideal I have in my mind rarely is the same thing I get once I do something about it. Shoes don't shine as well as I think they should, dinners don't come out as planned, construction projects fail to be square and true, things like that.

Before I do my writing (or whatever), I haven't failed. After I start something, I can screw it up. One of the ways I handle this tendency -- and it's not a good one -- is to avoid starting. As long as I haven't tried to make my dreams real, they're still glorious and perfect.

I guess it's a fear of failure thing.

Anyway, so instead of writing to see what emerges, I put it off, keeping it in that "possibly wonderful" state as long as I can.


Oh, yeah...

Why have the sidebar things moved to the bottom of the page? They show up on the right when I look at the comments, but languish at the bottom of the page when I view the site. and I finally got around to looking at all the comments...wow. You guys noticed!

2 comments:

methinks said...

start writing. this is the only reason you joined nano, right.

so write like there's no tomorrow. have no expectations. don't read what you write. just write away!

firefly said...

no worries, russ. really. just write and your story will unfold, like they always have.