A new word!

I've been wrong all these years.

For quite some time now, as long as I can remember, I've been thinking that I'm lazy. I don't honestly know if I'm less apt to get off my ass and do something than other people, but many people seem to get more accomplished than I do. Then again, I run circles around others, so maybe I'm in the middle or at least the bottom third.

The thing is, though, that it's hard to overcome laziness (or inertia, if you're more comfortable with physics). There are even laws about it, so it appears that this tendency of my body to stay at rest is something that's already pretty well documented.

I can get up and move when I want or need to, of course. Perhaps it will be painful, but it can be done. My comfort in not doing so isn't because I'm lazy, however.

I don't need to overcome laziness, I just need to become industrious!

4 comments:

cybele said...

Who are these people that you know that get more accomplished than you?

Sometimes I think that we're alloted a certain amount of everything and when we use up our industry or our decisions or our wishes, they're gone.

Perhaps you've been pacing yourself for your allotment? I think sometimes I just scurry around and do stuff, but don't really get anything done.

lauren said...

i like cybele's theory a lot.

Russ said...

Who are these people that you know that get more accomplished than you?

Those would be the members of the human race who reflect visible light.

Sometimes I think that we're alloted a certain amount of everything and when we use up our industry or our decisions or our wishes, they're gone.

You may be right, but I'd find that very limiting. I kinda think I'd like it better if we were able to accomplish whatever we want, if we had a bottomless pit of possibilities.

lauren said...

see... you really are an optimist underneath it all.