The Unforgettable Past

I once heard of a fellow who wanted to lighten the load on his ship of life. I believe the number he arrived at was fifteen hundred for the number of things he felt he should carry with him. I have no idea how he arrived at that number, but it sounds reasonable.

It sounds reasonable, but one day when I was bored I began listing the things I own. Oh my.

Not only do I think it's a good idea not to have a ton of things, I think having a fixed number, whatever it is, would be a pretty neat idea. That way whenever I went shopping I'd have to consider what I would have to get rid of to buy something new. Also, if I had such a radically pared number of possessions, something tells me I'd appreciate much more the things I do have.

There are a few things I own now that I truly enjoy, that I think would survive any drastic cut I had to make, but they are just a few of the countless things filling my life. I don't include people in this list, for obvious reasons, although I'm pretty sure if I even had some sort of ability, I wouldn't cast out anyone I know.

My life is enriched by people much more than it is by things. I'm more amused, delighted, surprised, rewarded, happy, and assured even sitting with someone in a park than I am by any of my possessions. I know what to expect of the things in my life, and they either meet my expectations or fall apart. People, I guess, can fall apart, too (I know I often do), but some choose to stay and enrich my life in ways I never dream of.

That's what I like. Trying to do that for them.

1 comments:

lauren said...

i really like that idea. the number of things. i couldn't count or list the items i own there are so (way too) many. but at least i know there are fewer now than there were six months ago. and fewer still than a year. at least i'm heading in the right direction now. but there is still much culling to be done...