Amateur Life

It's not news that I think many people are more adept at this life business than I think I am. I'm quite possibly wrong about that, I may be functioning better than I think, but I do have a possible liability when it comes to some things.

I'm pretty good with most computer stuff, even though they fail to excite me the way they did, and I think I'm adept at stringing words together, but neither of those are things I can talk about very often. I'm blessed with a curious nature and inquisitive mind, so I've checked a number of things out during my time on this planet. The result is, like so many others, I know a little about a lot of things, but nothing in much depth.

Other people seem to know a lot about things, much more than I do. Now, I can't possibly know everything about everything, try as I might, but I frequently find myself in situations where everything I can contribute to the conversation is over in less than a minute. It's not a bad thing, since I can listen and learn or ask questions, but I don't feel as if I'm pulling my weight.

People who are professionals know a helluva lot about things. People who are passionate about something are similarly well versed. I just kind of sit on the sideline of just about everything, and what I've seen of life and living doesn't always give me much to say. I don' t think people feel I'm stupid, just boring.

It's tough that way, that Rennaisance Man thing. Until I can find some sort of common ground, I can't uphold my end of any conversation, and sometimes I wish I was much better informed than I am. So much of what everyone else knows is a closed book to me, but given a chance, it's usually an interesting book.

0 comments: