End of the Rain

It rained here for the last couple days and pretty much soaked the ground, which is what a rain should do. The local news sent people out to take pictures of water, in one case even showing the damage done by the "storm." A small wall of uncemented or secured cinder blocks had a gaping hole!

When I was young we had "rain." Now it's always "storms." I think this is weakening the whole notion of a storm, but they never asked me.

My upcoming story continues to scare me. I've decided I need to talk some with the Gods of Literature and demand something be done about POV. I don't think it's fair that I should have to choose one. If I use first or third person limited, I love the intimacy, but then that damn character has to be everywhere and see every thing I want to talk about. If I use omniscient (and I've never done that well), it's too bland. I don't want to write the prose equivalent of a screenplay, something that objective doesn't excite me at all.

And, my main character isn't happy and funny. I want to write happy and funny, or at least cynical and dry. I hope I can carry it off, and wonder if that's why my earlier stuff isn't as good as it could be. I think what will emerge in November will probably be fine, but right now I'm concerned.

3 comments:

theangler said...

Why don't you let God narrate it? (I'm thinking Breakfast of Champions.) The up side is that God is happy and funny most of the time. Everytime I think about his solution for perpetuating the species, I get cracked up.

cybele said...

You can't let god narrate it!

God's narrating mine.

Or at least my main character thinks she's god, I'm not sure she actually knows the stuff that she narrates, or is just making it up.

russ said...

What? God can't multitask?

How else can she run a business, a home, and a family?